This dinner is the perfect way to welcome back Spring. Fresh, crisp asparagus spears with bright peas in a light cream sauce with pillowy gnocchi.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 package gnocchi (whole-wheat if preferred)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped into 1″ pieces
- 1 cup spring peas, thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (see notes for dairy-free version)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (see notes for dairy-free version)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Red pepper flakes, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and cook until done according to package directions. Drain and lightly rinse with water. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil, shallots and pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes until shallots are slightly soft.
- Add the asparagus and cook for 8-10 minutes until asparagus is fork tender.
- Add in the peas and cooked gnocchi, cooking for another 2-3 minutes until peas are heated through.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle in parmesan cheese, cream and lemon juice. Stir to combine and add crushed red pepper flakes, if desired.
For this recipe and more, check out our Pinterest page.