The perfect cake for the patriotic holiday!
- 1 box vanilla cake mix (plus eggs, water, and oil or butter, as called for on the box)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese (softened)
- 1 (8-ounce) container whipped topping (frozen, mostly thawed)
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1-pint blueberries
- 1 to 2 pints of raspberries
- Gather the ingredients.
- Prepare the cake batter according to the box directions, adding the called-for number of eggs, water, and/or oil or butter.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9 by-13-inch pan. Alternatively, line the bottom with parchment paper and grease the sides for easy removal. Bake according to the package directions.
- Let the cake cool for 15 minutes. Invert onto a serving platter to cool completely.
- Place the cake in the freezer while you prepare the frosting (this makes the flag cake easier to frost).
- With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, whipped topping, and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Remove the cake from the freezer and spread the top and sides with the whipped cream frosting.
- To decorate your flag cake, outline a square in the top left corner with blueberries. Fill in with remaining blueberries, leaving some white space showing through. These are the stars on your flag cake.
- Make several lines of raspberries next to and below the blueberries. These are the stripes of your flag cake. Refrigerate the flag cake until ready to serve.